Davis' car tax increase unconstitutional says lawsuit
Tempest
2003-07-11 05:33:11 UTC
July 9, 2003 By JON STERN News West SACRAMENTO -
In an effort to help balance California's $38 billion budget
deficit, Governor Gray Davis enacted a $4.2 billion car tax
increase last month without legislative vote. Assemblymember
Bill Maze (R-Visalia) said of the new car tax, "The governor
violated state law by circumventing a two-thirds vote of the
legislature required for all tax increases." "In our view, the
state controller has the only authority to pull the trigger to
raises the vehicle license fee," Dan Cannon, chief of staff for
Maze, said.
"The state controller is remaining quiet on this issue." Under
the Davis car tax hike, Californians will see a little over 200
percent increase in license fees. For example, the average $76
vehicle license fee will increase to $234. "As soon as this
happened, a lawsuit was filed against the governor to stay the
decision to raise the tax, citing the tax is unconstitutional
according to the California State Constitution," Cannon said.
According to Maze, California's Legislative Counsel, the attorney
who writes all statutes enacted by the legislature, stated that
Governor Davis "does not have the authority to increase the car
tax."
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=638&NewsID=472435&CategoryID=1393&on=0
http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/columns/walters/story/6960919p-7910016c.html
Thus was born the "trigger." Democrats and local officials insisted that
if there was to be a car tax reduction, it would have to include
provisions to reinstate it automatically if the state lacked enough
money for the backfill. Wilson and Republican lawmakers agreed, and the
tax was reduced.
--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic
Teddy Roosevelt
Mike Haas
2003-07-12 17:07:20 UTC
Post by Tempest
Thus was born the "trigger." Democrats and local officials insisted that
if there was to be a car tax reduction, it would have to include
provisions to reinstate it automatically if the state lacked enough
money for the backfill. Wilson and Republican lawmakers agreed, and the
tax was reduced.
DOncha love how they have to dig back SIX YEARS to find people to blame Gray
Davis woes on? Y'know why - it's because DEMOCRATS HAVE BEEN IN TOTAL
CONTROL OF THE STATE GOV. THAT LONG. Seem slike they would have started
fixing things years ago, when they were first rid of that tax-reducing
Wilson (how EVIL of him!).

But that guy Wilson, that they love to blame Gray's woes on (and Bush and
FERC and ENRON and CHENEY and ANN COULTER and YOU and ME and MY DOG
and...) - if's funny how Wildon turned over a 4.4 BILLION DOLLAS SURPLUS
when he left office (AFTER REDUCING TAXES, FOLKS!). Of course, that doesn't
even pay for a few months of Gray Davis secret, behind-doors meetings with
energy producers and agreed to pay HUGE rates for long-term energy.

It's amazing to see these real losers defend their LEGENDARY loser.

Yeah, I heard that the rate of signature accrual on the recall petition more
than TRIPLED when he raised the car tax. Gee, Gray, you stuck yerself
between a rock and a hard thing mighty tight. I hope it's affected your
fundraising negatively. After all, even students will quit paying you $250
just to meet you, you scoundrel.

Tempest is convinced we should all bad mouth the guy that left Californa
over 4 BILLION in surplus 6 years ago, and bend over for the guy who plunged
it over FORTY-TWO BILLION DOLLARS BELOW THAT in those 6 years.

I almost pity you tax-and-spending liberals. Almost.

Mike Haas
Allan Lindsay-O'Neal
2003-07-12 18:37:42 UTC
Post by Mike Haas
I almost pity you tax-and-spending liberals. Almost.
If I could find a way to stop laughing at these fools, I'd be closer to
pitying them. There'd still be a long way to go, however.