California Bracing for More Busts
Nomen Nescio
2009-04-28 20:40:12 UTC
Utter nonsense. Do you think Dell computers, Intel processors, Boeing
airplanes, etc. are not being sold in nearly every foreign country? I
could go on, but won't, as you should do the research about foreign
sales yourself.
they are, but the manufacturing jobs are being exported. And, I'm sorry,
but while that leaves us with a few high paying engineering kind of jobs,
everyone can't possibly be an engineer, and we end up with a rather hollow
economy.
No, we end up with a _modern_ economy. Same thing happened in
Switzerland many years ago, in Germany shortly thereafter, and is now
happening in Japan and the U.S. in earnest. Manual labor and
labor-intensive factories are "deprecated," being phased out.

As for "everyone can't possibly be an engineer," people have to make
choices. I agree that we are heading for a world where many people
simply don't have skills that others, in countries around the world,
are willing to pay for.

But for those who study, who work hard, the opportunities in chip
design, protein-folding, drug discovery, forensics, etc. are better
than ever.

Enrollment in the sciences and engineering has been dropping
nationwide. Ill-prepared students who never bothered to learn science
or math in high school would rather study English literature (with a
focus on the patriarchal whitemale rapesystem) or History of
Consciousness than study differential equations, tensor calculus, or
circuit design.

So? Those in China are busily studying math, science, and engineering.
It seems there's not much demand for HistCon and Women's Studies in
China.

It's one of many reasons many of us have guns. The burnoff of useless
eaters will be glorious.

--Tim May
--Tim May
Too_Many_Tools
2009-04-28 21:48:04 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
[...]
Mind telling us who will hire these people?

The tech companies are laying off in the hundred of thousands and
exporting the other jobs offshore.

TMT