Santa Cruz Homeless Update - (fwd) Parking Lot Drummers Planning Wednesday Event
d***@yahoo.com
2008-09-15 22:41:00 UTC
----- Forwarded Message -----

Drum Circle Defense 3:30 PM Wednesday September 17th

Monday, September 15, 2008 2:27 PM
From: "Robert Norse" <***@hotmail.com>
To: ***@comcast.net

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/09/15/18538444.php

Title: Keeping Public Spaces Public
START DATE: Wednesday September 17
TIME: 3:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Location Details:
In parking lot #4 at Cedar and Cathcart--the lot next to the
WednesdayFarmer's Market. At the traditional spot used by the
community drummersfor the last 10 years under the trees.
Event Type: Party/Street Party
Contact Name Robert Norse
Email Address rnorse3 [at] hotmail.com
Phone Number
Address
Come defend the weekly community gathering from police and
politicalharassment. Food Not Bombs regularly fed there--except on
September3rd--when police staked out the area and dispersed the
participants.

HUFF (Homeless United for Friendship & Freedom) will be petitioning
and copwatching there.

A description of last week's successful restoration of public space
can be found at:
'Victory at Parking Lot #4 -- The beat goes on!'
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/09/11/18536533.php

A series of excellent photographs of the restored Drum Circle
(withsupportive Trash Orchestra, Raging Grannies, community supporter
JoeSchultz, and budget-busting SCPDsters) can be found at
'Keeping Santa Cruz Weird: Is Drumming a Crime?'
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/09/11/18536737.php

More background on issues and information about Mayor Coonerty's 15
Minute Parking Lot Panic law can be found at
'Trash Orchestra to Defend Drummers from SCPD'
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/09/09/18534554.php
and
'Blueshirts Erase Drum Circle: New Ban on Public Assembly Near
Farmer's Market'
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/09/05/18533487.php

Bring cameras, camcorders, audio recorders, and friends.

It is possible but unlikely that police will attempt to cite people
forsimply being in the parking lot under the Parking Lot Panic Law.

The text of the law can be found at:
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/09/11/18536737.php?show_comments=1#18538400

In this case, police must prove you DON'T have a vehicle there and
arenot walking directly through. Or they have to prove you've been
therefor more than 15 minutes. And that they have warned you on a
prioroccasion.

You don't have to prove you DO have a vehiclethere. You DON'T have to
answer any of their questions about thisissue. In fact, the wisest
thing is to continue to repeat 'am I free togo?' and then simply walk
over and talk with a friend.

Ifthey indicate you are not free to go, ask those around you to
witnessthe harassment, but ask questions but don't answer them.

Technically, if you leave the parking lot every fourteen
minutes,police will likely have no probable cause to talk with you,
since howdo they know whose car is whose?

If police attempt to involveyou in dialogue about 'better places for
drumming', 'the marijuanaproblem', or any other issue, I suggest you
advise them to set up ameeting at another time when people can meet on
a level playing fieldand discuss these issues. If police call their
activity 'educational',suggest they do so at a time when their
behavior can't be mistaken forintimidation.

Given the number of supporters who regularly show up, ticketing of
this kind is unlikely.

I'm not a lawyer; these suggestions are just my personal opinions.
It's most important to use your own judgment.

-----End Forward-----
d***@yahoo.com
2008-09-18 17:13:41 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
[...]
Melee erupts at farmers market drum circle
Genevieve Bookwalter - Sentinel staff writer
Article Launched: 09/18/2008 01:33:54 AM PDT

found at: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_10496396
d***@yahoo.com
2008-09-18 19:26:39 UTC

-----Begin Forward-----

A VIGIL FOR THOSE WHO WENT TO JAIL TODAY

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:08 PM
From: Valerie Christy
To: "Huff group - santacruz" <***@yahoogroups.com>
I wrote this on SC Indybay tonight.

IT'S ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO PROTESTED FOR OUR RIGHT TO FREELY ASSEMBLE
TODAY AT THE FARMERS MARKET IN SANTA CRUZ HAIL! TO THE ONES WHO
WENT TO JAIL FOR US TODAY!

quitting

by Valerie C.
Wednesday Sep 17th, 2008 9:50 PM

The sad part about all of this is that although the drummers continued
to drum, the drummers stopped at one point and announced that they
will meet at the clock tower next time. Take some time away from the
scene for a while.
Two went to jail for their cause and now they are going to back down.
What was all the fight about if in the end they will relinquish their
rights and lose their place to freely assemble?
Does this mean we will continue to relinquish our rights to the powers
of force and corporate greed fovever?
When and where will we assemble as human beings instead of robots,
buying goods downtown and going back to our little boxes to watch our
little lighted boxes to entertain ourselves instead of relate to one
another?
Building up our trash cans with useless waste that we wouldn't need if
we didn't have to package it in tight plastic so no one will steal it
before it's sold.
Scowling at people who can't or refuse to buy shit we don't need. Who
look different from us and may have a difference of opinion from us.
Will we get on our little hamster treadmils to get our exersize and
shun the great outdoors because we fear the people outside who look
different from us?
And fear the police might tell us to buy something or move along.
Keep moving, don't stop, you might find someone who'll tell you it's
bullshit and you might question authority! God forbid!

And the Sum Dim's of the world (bullys who hate others) putting
people's opinions down with
fast-action pace. Crushing any feeling of friendship, solidarity, and
even possibly brotherhood with someone who thinks different then they
do. Coming up with the most painful thing known to my
heart......HATE.
Oh, how sad it is to see the disease, HATE, take over our lives.

Thank you, dear arrested friends, for standing up for our rights while
I cower on the side and retreat when a cop even looks at me.
How I love you for your couragous fight!
May you be at peace tonight. Hopefully you are now released and
holding your loved ones in your arms and thanking the Great Spirit for
another day of saying, no thank you...I will NOT give up my rights
today. If not, I will pray for your release to the end. And
Always..always back you up as the true warriors of this world. They
went to jail for justice!

-----End Forward-----
Geoff Miller
2008-09-20 17:30:48 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
A VIGIL FOR THOSE WHO WENT TO JAIL TODAY
Snork. What is it with leftists and vigils?

"'How come,' I asked Andy, 'whenever something upsets the Left,
you see immediate marches and parades and rallies with signs
already printed and rhyming slogans already composed, whereas
whenever something upsets the Right, you see two members of the
Young Americans for Freedom waving a six-inch American Flag?'

"'We have jobs." said Andy.'"

-- P.J. O'Rourke
Post by d***@yahoo.com
The sad part about all of this is that although the drummers
continued to drum, the drummers stopped at one point and
announced that they will meet at the clock tower next time.
Take some time away from the scene for a while.
Why doesn't that surprise me? The clock tower is a magnet for
bums, street people, and assorted other ne'er-do-wells. They
should be dispersed with a water cannon on a regular basis.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Two went to jail for their cause and now they are going to
back down. What was all the fight about if in the end they
will relinquish their rights and lose their place to freely
assemble?
Discretion being the better part of valor, perhaps?
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Does this mean we will continue to relinquish our rights to
the powers of force and corporate greed fovever?
It'd better, or there'll be truncheons and tear gas for all.

"Let the good times roll" -- the Cars, 1978

(WTF does "corporate greed" have to do with this?)
Post by d***@yahoo.com
When and where will we assemble as human beings instead
of robots, buying goods downtown and going back to our
little boxes to watch our little lighted boxes to enter-
tain ourselves instead of relate to one another?
When you get baths and jobs and become contributors to
the commonweal rather than social parasites. Having
acquired a stake in society, you'll have a valid basis
on which to relate. Until such time as that comes to
pass, you'll be nothing but vermin, and will be dealt
with accordingly.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Building up our trash cans with useless waste that we
wouldn't need if we didn't have to package it in tight
plastic so no one will steal it before it's sold.
But it's people like you who do the stealing in the first
place.

(WTF does plastic packaging have to do with a goddam drum
circle?)
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Scowling at people who can't or refuse to buy shit we don't
need.
Or who have no business being in a store because they obviously
have no intention of buying anything, who are likely to steal,
and who repel actual paying customers because they're a walking
visual blight and smell bad, besides.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Who look different from us and may have a difference of opinion
from us.
Most likely because of mental illness, or a sense of entitlement
born of a poor upbringing at the very least.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Will we get on our little hamster treadmils to get our exersize
and shun the great outdoors because we fear the people outside
who look different from us?
No. We'll get into our nice cars (which we can afford because
we have motivation, skills, and jobs) and drive someplace for our
exercise where we won't have to rub shoulders with society's
ambulatory garbage.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
And fear the police might tell us to buy something or move along.
Keep moving, don't stop, you might find someone who'll tell you
it's bullshit and you might question authority! God forbid!
"Queston authority?" What does the likes of you know about
authority? It is to laugh. You've never been responsible
for anything beyond deciding which traffic island to panhandle
from and which cluster of bushes to take a crap behind.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
And the Sum Dim's of the world
Oh, I love Chinese food!
Post by d***@yahoo.com
(bullys who hate others) putting people's opinions down with
fast-action pace.
You're revvin' up my go-go-gonads with that sort of talk.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Crushing any feeling of friendship, solidarity, and even
possibly brotherhood with someone who thinks different
then [sic] they do.
I have plenty of friends, thanks. If I decide I need another,
I'll consider getting a dog.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Coming up with the most painful thing known to my heart
......HATE. Oh, how sad it is to see the disease, HATE,
take over our lives.
Well, if it bothers you so much, leave Santa Cruz and go
someplace else where you won't have to confront it. It'd
be a win-win situation: your kind wouldn't have to deal
with hate, and my kind wouldn't have to lay eyes on you
deranged heaps of mobile filth.

I understand that there are a lot of fuckup-friendly
communities down around the Salton Sea. Some guy posts
about them a lot in monterey.general; maybe he could
offer you some pointers and name some possible contacts.

Bon voyage.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Thank you, dear arrested friends, for standing up for
our rights while I cower on the side and retreat when
a cop even looks at me.
You're obviously part of what you perceive to be the problem,
not part of the solution. Suicide is one remedy you might
consider.
Post by d***@yahoo.com
How I love you for your couragous fight!
May you be at peace tonight. Hopefully you are now released
and holding your loved ones in your arms and thanking the
Great Spirit for another day of saying, no thank you...I
will NOT give up my rights today.
The "Great Spirit?" What's wrong with just saying "God?"
Do people like you have to resist and turn your backs on
*every* symbol of normal society that you encounter?
Post by d***@yahoo.com
If not, I will pray for your release to the end. And
Always..always back you up as the true warriors of this
world. They went to jail for justice!
Get a life. Or better yet, lose the so-called "life" that
you already have. The sooner, the better.

Geoff

--
"The act of campaigning with any sort of honor or respect
has vanished from the Democrat playbook." -- Mike Gallagher
n***@millions.com
2008-09-20 17:37:19 UTC
Post by Geoff Miller
Why doesn't that surprise me? The clock tower is a magnet for
bums, street people, and assorted other ne'er-do-wells. They
should be dispersed with a water cannon on a regular basis.
Just offer them actual jobs and see what happens.

DCI
Undecided
2008-09-22 19:50:25 UTC
On Sep 18, 12:26 pm, ***@yahoo.com wrote:

...about protests and rights and outrage and such swoony goony muck.

You know how a pool dries and leaves puddles? That's how culture
works. Santa Cruz is the sump of the sixties.

Even Berkeley has moved on. Their decades-long Peoples' Park be-in is
finished. The tree sitters protesting the cutting of oaks for the new
expanded athletic building are non-stoonts, and they were not able to
draw even minimal support from those who are enrolled. And theirs is a
much nobler cause than simply the right to be annoying. There is a UC-
Berkeley poll reporting some 80% opposed to the sitters.

That leaves Santa Cruz, where for generations also street characters
have attempted to leech onto gatherings by others for other purposes
to create disorder due to their Attention Deficit. It's a community
tradition, this Protest Playschool. Anybody can draw notice with no
talent and less humility.

Why not take your act over by the river and see can you draw your own
crowd with whatever beating your tom-tom is supposed to accomplish?
Over on the benchlands is your full First Amendment Promise Land. I
convey it to you. Go in peace.

Gadabout Ghandi
d***@yahoo.com
2008-09-23 03:29:26 UTC
Post by Undecided
[...]
Because I'm into amateur journalism, not music or drum playing. But
I'll cc your message to Robert Norse. Maybe he'll cc it to others in
his yahoogroup or comment about your message on his radio show.

In the meantime you might enjoy reading my old post from 1999 "UC
Berkeley - Bad Architecture" on the Usenet.
Undecided
2008-09-28 22:03:40 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
In the meantime you might enjoy reading my old post from 1999 "UC
Berkeley - Bad Architecture" on the Usenet.
I'll look for it, thanks.

Pattycake Protest reminds me of the old joke about the guy looking for
his contact under the street lamp because the light was better,
although he'd lost it back down the drive.

This Norse character is of the habit of calling the most gentle group
of city fathers anywhere nazis for not letting him and his ilk sleep
on the walkways, isn't he? Here's my reference.

This Rico Blunder or whoever was blocking an arrest. That resonates
with me. Back in the sixties, far, far away, in Turtle Creek in
Dallas, there was another protest, this one against the war, and the
police swept in to break it up, and one solitary hippy kid performed
what the cop said was a semi-body block to forestall hot pursuit of
one of his buddies. Just projecting his body in a semi-crouch while
the officer was in high gear after the miscreant.

The kid drew six years in the state pen.

About naziism and the relative merits of Santa Cruz to truly insane
societies, I'm not

- Undecided
Benj
2008-09-29 03:53:26 UTC
Post by Undecided
This Rico Blunder or whoever was blocking an arrest. That resonates
with me. Back in the sixties, far, far away, in Turtle Creek in
Dallas, there was another protest, this one against the war, and the
police swept in to break it up, and one solitary hippy kid performed
what the cop said was a semi-body block to forestall hot pursuit of
one of his buddies. Just projecting his body in a semi-crouch while
the officer was in high gear after the miscreant.
The kid drew six years in the state pen.
Well sure, that's Nazism. But it was a WAR protest. These guys were
charged with "playing drums with little skill" among other things.
THAT is a whole 'nother ball game that puts us all squarely on the
side of the cops!
Undecided
2008-09-29 15:29:29 UTC
Well sure, that's Nazism.  But it was a WAR protest. These guys were
charged with "playing drums with little skill" among other things.
THAT is a whole 'nother ball game that puts us all squarely on the
side of the cops!
I used to grow all indignant about location shoots from Hollywood
productions. The guards would very politely offer to usher you off the
set. I'd think, hey, this is a public street, bub. But then I'd
remember how the city gumint often details public space for private
use for fun and profit, as in the annual parades and the jamborees in
the parks. It does appear they have the legal right to declare both a
function and any nuisance which would detract from it.

So I wasn't able to burst into Redwood Curtain or Lost Boys as an
espontaneo extra. Too bad.

No longer
-Undecided

d***@yahoo.com
2008-09-23 03:57:50 UTC
Post by Undecided
Why not take your act over by the river and see can you draw your own
crowd with whatever beating your tom-tom is supposed to accomplish?
Over on the benchlands is your full First Amendment Promise Land. I
convey it to you. Go in peace.
Gadabout Ghandi
And I'm not in Santa Cruz, if that's what you're thinking. I'm not
familiar with the river or the benchlands.
Geoff Miller
2008-09-20 16:39:39 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
found at: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_10496396
Excerpt:

"As the officer was talking to Rusk, Modes, wearing a large
blue plastic barrel drum, got between the two men and began
using the Advertisement drum to push the officer away, police
said."

It's a shame that the officer didn't simply draw his weapon
at that point and shoot Modes in the face. The problem would've
been solved tidily.

Moeover, the remains could've been left in place for an hour or
so, collecting flies, _pour encouragment les otters_.

Geoff

d***@yahoo.com
2008-09-25 05:51:28 UTC
Today's drumming event at the farmer's market happened without
incident according to the Santa Cruz Sentinel.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_10548898