Add up the tomato pickers' pay!
Tim May
2008-03-06 18:58:36 UTC
In article
Pay American wages and you'll get
American workers.
All problems solved.
of course, you won't be selling many tomatoes, because you'll be
competing in price with the fancyass varieties with the little vines
sticking out and stuff so nobody will buy your little tennis balls.
There are many growers in my area (Pajaro Valley, a rich ag area
adjacent to the Salinas Valley, a famous ag area) that are unable to
find American legal residents who will work for $16-18 an hour.

The per hour rate is not the issue, it's the nature of the work. Manual
labor is "passe" to American-raised kids.

There are also many roofers, pavers, etc. who are similarly unable to
find such workers. (When the private road that I am on was being
repaved last summer, I spoke to the white guy managing the all-Mexican
crew. He said that they'd gotten no interest from white kids in Santa
Cruz, Capitola, Aptos, Scotts Valley, Soquel, the towns where most of
the white kids live. He said that even though they are paying well for
the area, white kids just aren't intested in doing hard work like this.
He says Mexicans are the only manual laborers he's able to find, and
that this has been the case for at least the past decade. He said his
father, who used to run the business, was able to find whites as
workers back in the 60s and mostly into the 70s, but that this dried up
in the 80s.).

I'm NOT, repeat NOT, urging illegal aliens to come here. I'm just
pointing out the reality. (Though most of the local growers, including
apple and strawberry growers in my area, and artichoke and Brussel
sprout growers a few miiles away, are VOCAL proponents of inviting in
ten milliion more Mexican workers. Partly they are seeing that the
_CHILDREN_ of the previous flood of such workers are not willing to
work the fields, so a continuous new supply of immigrants is needed,
they say.)

The reality is that today's white kids--and increasingly today's
U.S.-raised brown kids, and, needless to say, black kids--are not being
raised to think about doing manual labor of ANY kind. They are taught
that they are "special snowflakes," that working manual labor jobs is
beneath them, and that all sorts of "education" and "special skills
training" will ensure their future at the top of the American economy.

True enough, some of these kids have to face reality and get jobs at
the local Mall, serving Hot Dogs on a Stick and selling trinket jewelry
at the kiosks.

But pick crops? Spread hot tar on roofs?

"Like, no way, dude!"

--Tim May
Terryc
2008-03-06 23:22:35 UTC
Post by Tim May
Partly they are seeing that the
_CHILDREN_ of the previous flood of such workers are not willing to
work the fields, so a continuous new supply of immigrants is needed,
they say.)
Which is very telling.
Post by Tim May
The reality is that today's white kids--and increasingly today's
U.S.-raised brown kids,.. They are taught ...that all sorts of
"education" and "special skills
training" will ensure their future at the top of the American economy.
But pick crops? Spread hot tar on roofs?
"Like, no way, dude!"
Perhaps enough of them listened to their parents and realised that all
hot, dangerous, hard work got you was bad health and a miserable life
and you ended up attempting to survive on welfare because you couldn't
do anything else.

The official word in this country is that we are going to have a
shortage of workers, which is going to be great for manual workers as
they are going to have to start paying competitively.

I've already seen a 30% increase in the advertised hourly wage for
pallet movers (sit on your arse on a forklift and move pallets from
container to warehouse and back).
Jerry
2008-03-07 04:49:32 UTC
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:58:36 -0800, Tim May
Post by Tim May
He said that they'd gotten no interest from white kids in Santa
Cruz, Capitola, Aptos, Scotts Valley, Soquel, the towns where most of
the white kids live. He said that even though they are paying well for
the area, white kids just aren't intested in doing hard work like this.
Sounds like he was feeding you a bunch of B.S.

Either there is an abundance of other jobs for the white kids in
California, or those white kids haven't learned to read the Spanish
language Help Wanted ads yet.

Or maybe the old man has enough money to go around so that junior
doesn't need to go to work.