Quitting Smoking: Phase II
n***@gmail.com
2012-08-30 10:05:55 UTC
Yesterday I started beginning to start contemplating the idea that I
might consider taking the next step in thinking about considering
quitting smoking.
What is the next step? Pretty much like that last step: beginning
to start contemplating the idea that I might consider taking the next
step in thinking about considering quitting smoking.
This time it is a bit different, though. I have already taken the
first step: quitting caffine. That was such a difficult habit to quit
that I *never* want to go back.
I have always made fun of people who drink decaff at work. I would say
things like "What's the matter? You can't handle *real* coffee?" or
"No caffine? Why bother?" Now *I* drink decaff.
Consider me bent over the log.
A couple of days ago, I asked Kathy to get some of the new
high-strength nicotine gum. I tried the old stuff when it first came
out. It was almost useless to me. I had to suppliment the gum with
cigarettes to get enough caffine.
I was holding hope for the nicotine nasal spray because it seemed like
it would be the closest method to smoking. The pharmacy that Kathy
uses doesn't stock it. They will order it from the manufacturer,
though.
I asked her to get the specifics about it. The pharmacist didn't seem
to be too interested in giving much information aside from price
(about $40). When Kathy asked what the strength was (I wasn't about
to pay $40 for salt water), he said that it really didn't work. He
said that it was something that rich people bought so that they could
*say* that they tried to quit smoking.
Note to Kathy: Lose that pharmacy!
I gave up on the nasal spray for now and just had Kathy get the
high-octane gum.
Guess how much it costs ..............................................
Time's up. $40 for 48 pieces.
Come on, people! I understand profit. Perhaps Smithkline Beecham can
explain to me the difference between profit and price gouging. This
is *not* rocket science. The tobacco companies have been extracting
nicotine for more than 30 years, in order to dope their cigarettes so
that they can control the nicotine levels.[1]
Are you going to tell me that there is some trick process involved in
putting 2mg of that nicotine into each piece of unflavored gum?
<wshew!> I feel better, now. This quitting stuff is kinda hard on
the nerves.[2]
Yesterday morning I got up early in anticipation of starting out on
the gum, rather than cigarettes. I was actually looking forward to
quitting. I got up at 3:30. I got dressed and made coffee (yeah --
decaff. Bite me). I sat down and popped my first piece of gum. Then
I started reading a book. 5 minutes later I lit a cigarette.
Feeling like quite a failure, I smoked like normal until about 2pm.
I have been, lately, smoking less in the afternoons and evenings.
From 2pm on, I used the gum. It seemed to work pretty well. Even
after dinner I didn't need a cigarette.[3]
Finally, about 7pm I burned one. Went to bed at 8 as usual. 6 hours
and only one cigarette! It gave me hope.
This morning I used a different tact. I smoked my usual 10 between
4am and 8am. Instead of going downstairs and rolling more, I started
chewing the gum.
It seemed to work pretty well. No real strong urges until about 1pm.
I went downstairs and ate some snacks (chocolate is a snack -- good
and good for you. You can quote me.). While I eat I don't smoke.
I finished off the pound of chocolate. Then I pretty much needed to
burn one.
Not bad, though -- 5 hours between butts.
Let's see, now: 6 hours last night and 5 hours today. If I keep this
up, not smoking could become something of a habit.
Oh, geeze -- I can see it all now: I'll become one of those assholes
who, when they see someone smoking, will yell in a shrill voice "DON'T
YOU KNOW HOW BAD THAT IS FOR YOU?!!!!" If *anybody* ever catches me
doing that, please promise to smack me in the back of the head.
I promise that, if you do, I won't file a police report.
[1] About 2 years ago I started smoking American Spirit cigarettes
because they don't dope their cigarettes with nicotine and they
dodn't add any sort of "delivery enhancers" like ammonia. Then,
after about 6 months, I started rolling my own with the same
tobacco. I used to, when smoking regular cigarettes, smoke 2 1/2
to 3 packs a day (that is 50 to 60 cigarettes). Since I began
rolling my own, that has dropped to maybe 30 a day. Add to that
the fact that the cigarettes are smaller in diameter (about 1/2)
and I only smoke about 1/2 to 3/4 of the length (there is no
filter to hang onto), that equates to about 1/8 to 3/8 of the
tobacco consumption. Add to that the fact that I am no longer
smoking doped tobacco and my present nicotine intake is quite
small by comparison to what it was when I was smoking regular
cigarettes.
[2] I had been alone all day. Nobody to interact with -- except for
the cat (I *always* kick her, so that doesn't count). When Kathy
got home, this changed. I, then, had the opportunity to express
my irritation. Finally, after all of these years of being on the
receiveing end of PMS, I got to give it a bit. I *like* it.
Payback is a bitch.
[3] After meals is usually the time when I *really* want to smoke.
Before you go back to the Dean wars, I'd just like to mention (for no
apparent reason) that Scruznet's server sucks the big one. Somebody
told me, for example, that Steve Daniels replied to my post to Tim. I
haven't seen it. I have also not seen any replies from Tim and I am
*pretty* sure that is something to which he would reply.
More on this in another (sniveling) thread.
--
Do not underestimate your abilities. That is your boss's job.
It is your job to find ways around your boss's roadblocks.

Smoking is bad for your health. Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body. Cigarette smoking causes 87 percent of lung cancer deaths. Stop smoking aids are among the effective techniques that one can use to crush their nicotine addiction. However, as they say, what works for some may not work for everyone. One of the best products that I have ever come across to quit smoking is Nicorette Gum and I believe in that product because today with the help of that I have quit smoking and from past six months I have not got a single craving...
Thanks and Cheers to Nicorette and its Quit smoking Products. http://www.nicorette.in/nicorette/nicorette-gum

Regards,
Neil
Bill Palmer
2012-08-30 11:59:02 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
Post by n***@gmail.com
Hi,
Smoking is bad for your health. Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body. Cigarette smoking causes 87 percent of lung cancer deaths. Stop smoking aids are among the effective techniques that one can use to crush their nicotine addiction. However, as they say, what works for some may not work for everyone. One of the best products that I have ever come across to quit smoking is Nicorette Gum and I believe in that product because today with the help of that I have quit smoking and from past six months I have not got a single craving...
Thanks and Cheers to Nicorette and its Quit smoking Products. http://SPAM_SPAM_SPAM_SAUSAGE_AND_SPAM
Regards,
Neil
Leave it to a spamming Google Groper to respond to a thread from 1998.

Fuckhead.